Monday, January 28, 2019

My House

I live in a duplex that consists of eight other roommates so you can imagine how it can get a little crazy some days. I waited four years to finally be able to live off campus with my friends. I love living in a house with so many people because there is always something going on. With something always going on this can takes different turns as to being super fun or just too much sometimes. It can be super fun when you just walk out of your room and see at least five of your friends just sitting in the living room so you instantly have something to do. On the other hand, when you want to get some studying done it can be difficult to get stuff done with so much going on.

It was interesting at the beginning of the year trying to figure out who the messy people are and who cleans up their messes. Our house was pretty dirty at the beginning of the year so we decided to come up with a chore sheet to keep order in the house. This chore sheet consisted of eight different chores assigned to different individuals that had to be done once a week and then the individual rotated to a different chore the next week. Having established this order finally we realized how much cleaner our house was all the time compared to before and we were really happy about it.

Another problem we faced was configuring our schedules to be able to efficiently get our laundry done because everyone was trying to do it on the same days because our schedules are so similar. We came to a simple solution that we each had a day that we were allowed to do our laundry while doubling up on the weekend.


The biggest thing I learned from living with so many people is you need to be willing to adapt to other people’s lifestyle because they may be very different than yours. After getting over these humps of figuring out when and what to do for chores I realized how great it is to live with all my best friends and would not trade it for anything.

2 comments:


  1. I too live in a duplex with eight other roommates, I have observed similar issues as well. i think your chore sheet idea is a good one and something that may be implemented in my house. its funny how we are in such a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max, that sounds like an interesting living situation! That sounds like a really beneficial learning experience for you and your roommates. It makes sense to create some sort of calendar for chores. I could never imagine living with eight other people. My family has four people and I have never lived with more than that amount. Props to you for making the best of it and enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete