Monday, April 15, 2019

Why to choose a communications minor

When I entered ONU freshman year, I was not completely sure what I wanted to do. I declared a major in pharmaceutical business and thought that would be it. However, down the road, I decided it would be to my advantage to add a minor in communications. I have come to realize that communication is a huge part of every career, especially in business.
 
I chose to pick up the communication minor because the need for strong communicators in the workforce is great. Although I considered myself a decent communicator before picking up the minor, I knew I needed to grow my skills and focus on improvement. I was especially excited to learn more about written and non-verbal communication because I hadn’t really had the chance to before.

ONU offers a lot of courses in the Communication and Media Studies (CAMS) program, many of which I have taken to fulfill the requirements for my minor. Some of the classes include presentational speaking, communication theory, health communication, public relations, principles of social media, and more. Each of the classes I have taken has been extremely informative in showing me the ins and outs of the communication field.

In addition to offering a diverse course selection, ONU’s CAMS program has some of the best professors I have ever had. Each professor goes above and beyond for their students, always making sure they understand the material and teaching real-life skills. One huge benefit of the professors in the department is that they are all highly qualified to teach. Each of them has
 so much experience in effective communication, so it makes learning from them more enjoyable.


Another cool part of the CAMS program is the organization Public Relations Students Society of America (PRSSA). This organization meets once a week and presents students with guest speakers who provide advice, insight, and encouragement to students in the field. At the national level, this organization holds various competitions, conferences, and other opportunities which ONU students often participate. From my experience, this organization is a hugely beneficial tool in a young professional’s life.
 

Since declaring my communication minor, I feel much more confident in my abilities and skills for entering the workforce. I know that this minor will give me a leg up on my colleagues and I will constantly utilize the information I learned through the program. 

2 comments:

  1. I added a public relations minor this semester but I also considered adding communications. It's such an important skill that not everyone has, yet it's necessary to develop. I'm glad you decided to add this minor. I think it will really help you in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I added a communications minor last semester as well. Mainly for the reason of being here for an extra semester and only needed two extra classes to complete it, but also because being a sport management major having good communication skills will play a large role in my jobs.

    ReplyDelete